I just love pumpkin. I love pumpkin pie and I love pumpkin muffins. So I knew I would also love a simple pumpkin bar style cake.
But I guess it’s not just me. I recently made this recipe for a party and they were gobbled up.
I modified the recipe from one I discovered on a recipe site. I made it healthier using whole wheat flour, cutting back the sugar a bit and I was going to use applesauce for 1/2 of the oil…but then noticed a little mold growing in my applesauce. But next time I would totally make that substitution.
You can serve them plain or with some powdered sugar dusted on top. They would also be great with icing if that is your thing…but I prefer less sweet and more simple, so powdered sugar is my choice.
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 2 cups pumpkin (16 oz can)
- 2 cups white wheat flour (or use your favorite flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs until frothy.
- Add sugar and continue beating about 2 minutes.
- Blend in oil and pumpkin.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to the egg mixture until just combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13 x 9″ pan. I use a cooking spray that is designed for baking and includes flour.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done. You can tell it’s done when the edges start to pull away from the sides or a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack, then put a couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar in a fine strainer over the cake and lightly shake to cover the cake.
- Cut into small squares and serve on a pretty cake plate.
TIP: The powdered sugar will disappear if you cover the dish overnight, so wait to dust in powdered sugar until you are ready to serve.
I love Pinterest and Facebook shares!