I really like cooking from scratch rather than eating unhealthy processed foods or restaurant take out too often, but I also don’t usually feel like making a complicated meal. Homemade Chinese Fried Rice is a great one dish meal or side dish. Usually made from leftovers, you can have this on dish on the table in just a few minutes.
When I was a child, a variation of this recipe was my Mom’s favorite way to use up leftover white rice. It really doesn’t taste like the fried rice you get at a restaurant, but it still a great recipe. I typically throw in whatever vegetables I have in my kitchen, and leave out the meat. I also cut this down to accommodate the leftover rice in the fridge.
Homemade Chinese Fried Rice
3 cups cooked rice, cold
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup carrots (diced) and peas (or whatever vegetables you have on hand)
3/4 cup scallion, sliced
1 1/2 cups diced cooked shrimp (optional) or 1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons parsley, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Use leftover rice, or make the rice in advance and refrigerate.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Stir in the rice and cooke for a couple of minutes, pressing out any lumps.
- Mix in the vegetables, scallions, shrimp/chicken, salt and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are soft and everything is hot.
- Make a well in the center of the rice and pour the egg into it, stirring until barely set.
- Stir egg into the rice mixture.
- Add the parsley and soy sauce and stir. Cook 1 more minute and serve immediately.
For Vegetarian dishes leave out the chicken and shrimp.
I love Pinterest, Facebook and Google+ shares!