Fast & Easy Recipe: Pie Plate Cornbread
I love cornbread, but it always came out too dry and crumbly.
Until I tried this recipe.
This cornbread was moist and easy to make. Even better, all of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry.
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a round pie plate (regular or deep dish) with cooking spray.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in milk, vegetable oil and egg. Mix just until the dough is moistened.
- Pour the batter into the pie plate.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown.
The original recipe called for a 8 or 9 inch square pan, but I much prefer the pie plate. The depth is perfect and you end up with perfect slices for each serving.
I really like cornbread when you are making a one-dish meal for dinner. It simply feels like a more complete meal when you have 2 separate things on your plate. And with the cornbread taking no more than 30 minutes to make, there’s no excuse for not whipping up a batch.
I discovered this recipe on Food.com. It has 31 reviews and averages 4+ stars. The reviewers tried a lot tweaks.
Here are the substitutions the reviewers said worked great:
- used 2 egg whites instead of 1 egg, and low fat sour cream instead of oil
- used egg substitute and soy milk
- made it gluten-free by using a gluten free all-purpose flour blend
- used Splenda instead of sugar and whole wheat flour
- reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons
- used 1 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup white flour and 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- combine the dry ingredients in a freezer bag and store in the freezer until ready to add the liquid ingredients
- baked in a muffin tin with 1/4 cup of batter each, yields 9 cornbread muffins
- baked in a cast iron skillet that was preheated before filling
I love Pinterest, Facebook and Google+ shares!
SEE MY MOST POPULAR RECIPES:
- Easy Dessert Recipe ~ Pan Style Cinnamon Roll Cake
- Easy Chicken Recipe ~ Balsamic Baked Chicken
- Quick & Easy ~ Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Want nutritional information?
Click on the + sign in the recipe card below for complete nutritional information.[kitchenbug-your-recipe-appears-here-12818]